We encourage most first-year students who are interested in economics to take an introductory micro course in the fall and an introductory macro and/or introductory data course in the spring. Students have multiple options for introductory micro and macro in both semesters.
Introductory micro is offered in three formats:
- Econ 115 is a large lecture class.
- Econ 110 covers the same topics but is taught in smaller sections that are only open to first-year students and sophomores. This class is restricted by lottery.
- Econ 108 is intended for students with limited or no experience in calculus. It places greater emphasis on quantitative methods and examples. Enrollment in Econ 108 requires a personal placement into the course (see Canvas for your personal placement for Economics) or permission of the DUS, and all interested students must apply for permission to take the course here.
Introductory macro is offered in two formats:
- Econ 116 is a large lecture class.
- Econ 111 is similar in spirit to Econ 110. It covers the same topics as 116 but is taught in smaller sections that are limited to first-year students and sophomores and are restricted by lottery.
First-year students and sophomores interested in taking Econ 110 or 111 in fall 2018 must preregister between 9:00 am on Wednesday,August 22, and 5:00 pm Monday, August 27, 2018 (Click here for Econ 110 and Click here for Econ 111). Because there are a limited number of slots in these courses, places will be assigned randomly to a subset of those that preregister. Assignments will be available on the preregistration site after 5:00 pm on Tuesday, August 28, 2018.
The students who receive an assignment through the lottery have to attend the first two classes in order to be allowed to register. In case a student does not attend, the lottery assignment will be revoked and his/her place will be made available to another student. The final assignments for each section will be announced on Wednesday, September 5, 2018.
Introductory data analysis and econometrics:
- Econ 117 is a an unlimited enrollment large lecture class offered in both semesters.
- Please see the New Econometrics Courses webpage for more information