Economist (DH); Department of Commerce, Patent and Trademark Office
- Open & closing dates: 07/16/2020 to 08/06/2020
Pay scale & grade: GS 12 - 14
Salary: $86,335 to $157,709 per year
Appointment type: Permanent - Career/Career-Conditional appointment in the Competitive Service.
Work schedule: Full-Time - This is a Full-Time, Permanent
1 vacancy in the following location:Alexandria, VA 1 vacancy
Telework eligible: Yes as determined by agency policy
Come work for the USPTO, we have been ranked as one of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government®!
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) has been serving the economic interests of America for more than 200 years. We are responsible for granting US intellectual property rights for patents and trademarks. The USPTO is headquartered in Alexandria, Virginia, and has over 12,000 employees. For more information about the USPTO, please visit the USPTO Jobs Website.
This Vacancy is using the Direct-Hire authority to recruit for positions for which there is a critical hiring need. Using the Office of Personnel Management’s approved government-wide direct hire authorities, agencies may appoint candidates directly to jobs, without regard to the provision of Title 5 U.S.C 3309 through 3318, for which OPM determines that there is a severe shortage of candidates or a critical hiring need.
This position is located in the Office of Chief Economist, Office of Policy and International Affairs (OPIA), an office vested with the responsibility of overseeing IP policy and enforcement and leading efforts to strengthen both domestic and international IP protection.
Duties for this position include:
- Applying economic principles, models, and statistical methods to perform analyses, prepare reports and academic studies addressing domestic and international intellectual property (IP) matters.
- Developing and maintaining state of the art knowledge of the research approaches, findings, and policy issues in the areas of intellectual property, innovation economics, and entrepreneurship; understanding and implementing advanced methodological approaches, utilizing and programing state of the art databases and statistical software; using statistical software (STATA, R and Python are preferred, but not required); identifying and collecting information and constructing databases; developing, testing and selecting advanced statistical models for causal analysis or prediction; ensuring the accuracy of measurements that data represent; evaluating the precision, reliability and validity of statistical models; testing hypotheses and accurately interpreting results; and preparing technical reports, other documents, and presentations or other briefing materials.
- Providing consultation, guidance and other related technical support on IP data, economics and related advanced mathematical matters to the USPTO Chief Economist, other team members reporting to the USPTO Chief Economist, and other subject-matter experts in the OPIA
- Participating in USPTO Chief Economist’s team efforts and activities, such as formulating and refining team goals, planning team activities, establishing priorities, developing measures of progress, providing feedback and resolution of issues, and preparing progress reports, briefing material, talking points or other documents as needed.
Travel Required: Not required
Supervisory status: No
Promotion Potential: 14
How to Apply
Personally Identifiable Information (PII)
Personally Identifiable Information (PII) is defined as information that can be traced back to a specific individual and potentially compromise their security or privacy. Examples of PII include: date of birth, Social Security Number, and place of birth.
Please ensure that you have removed all Personally Identifiable Information from all documents prior to submitting or uploading your applications material.
You MUST apply online. If you experience difficulties with the application process or do not have access to a computer, please contact the HR Specialist listed as the point of contact before the closing date of this job announcement.
If you are a new user to the USAJobs Site and have never registered for an account; you will first need to create an account profile with your basic contact information and a resume to begin applying. You must be a registered USAJobs user AND you must be signed-in to your account in order to apply for this position. For help setting up an account or for general help using USAJobs, go to USAJobs Help Page. Once you have gathered all of the required information and are ready to begin the application process, click the “APPLY ONLINE” button at the right side of the page. You will then be directed away from USAJobs to the Department of Commerce application site for USPTO.
If you experience any difficulties with the application site, help is available! If you have problems completing your on-line application, contact the Monster Hiring Management Help Desk at 1-866-656-6831 or by e-mail at MGSHELP@monster.com. The help desk is available Monday - Friday 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time. You may call and leave a voice mail message at all other times.
All required supporting documents will be collected electronically via the USAJobs “Saved Documents” feature.
Agency contact information