Educational Transformation Intern
Ithaka S+R is a not-for-profit research and strategic consulting service. Our growing Educational Transformation (ET) team offers unique opportunities for you to use your research and communication skills to study and support the adoption and scaling of policies, practices, and innovations that improve student postsecondary access and success. Our team designs and carries out qualitative and quantitative studies of promising initiatives in areas like technology-enhanced learning, student advising and support, and institutional organization and governance; help partner organizations develop and implement evidence-based strategies that emerge from this research; andconvene and build networks of partner organizations to help them learn from one another.
As a summer intern, you will work collaboratively on projects that help shape the national postsecondary educational landscape and improving the lives of students. You will have an opportunity to learn from our researchers while being
responsible for high-quality and on-time completion of work that has an impact on the field.
This is a paid internship for approximately 8-12 weeks during the summer with a schedule of Monday-Friday from 9:00am to 6:00pm.
The goals of the internship are:
● To provide a unique learning experience addressing critical challenges in higher education;
● To contribute to the interns’ broader knowledge through exposure to and active participation in discussions beyond the scope of the intern’s specific project;
● To collaborate with researchers and analysts on the ET team to produce specific deliverables;
● To present work accomplished during the internship to the ET team to showcase skills learned.
Interns will support one or more projects. Examples of potential projects are listed below. Internship project components and deliverables will be defined in collaboration with selected candidates.
State Higher Education Policy . Ithaka S+R is working to better understand the role that state policies play in increasing access to and attainment of higher education for students from lower-income and underrepresented minority (URM) backgrounds. A summer 2019 intern would support work on this multi-state, multi-year research project. Responsibilities could include conducting a literature review, collaborating with Ithaka S+R researchers and analysts to analyze state-level data on funding, policies, and student outcomes, and attending meetings with external partners.
Economic Value of the Liberal Arts . Ithaka S+R is working on multi-stage research agenda to understand the economic value of liberal arts undergraduate education. A summer 2019 intern would assist in collecting data to populate a liberal arts index, organize datasets of institutional and student-level data, contribute to regression analysis design and execution, and draft portions of a report on the subject.
Innovative Financial Aid Practices . Ithaka S+R is studying the impact of completion grants–low-value financial aid awards to students on track to earn their degrees to cover small balances owed to their institution. The study is a
regression discontinuity design, and the results could support further expansion of a innovative policy under consideration at hundreds of institutions. A summer 2019 intern would assist with data collection and cleaning, regression analysis, and drafting portions of a report on the subject.
Experience and Skills
● Pursuing a bachelor’s degree in a field that requires quantitative and/or policy analysis.
● Strong interest in solving challenges in higher education.
● Experience and proficiency in working with large datasets.
● Proficiency in Stata or R (preferred).
● Superior writing, communications, and interpersonal skills.
● Highly effective in communication with both internal and external stakeholders.
● Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, while ensuring acute attention to detail and accuracy.
● Demonstrated ability to translate complex concepts and research data into compelling, accessible, and well-written reports and engaging presentations.
● Enthusiasm for learning new skills.
● Ability to work in our open, collaborative, and team-oriented culture.
We are committed to our organizational values of belonging, evidence, speed, teamwork, and trust.
Work for ITHAKA
Our team is passionate about our mission and supporting one another. We enjoy working together to create opportunities for people to learn and grow out in the world, and we bring that same commitment to helping our
teammates develop in our careers and our lives. One of our core values is belonging. We embrace differences, and believe that the things that make each of us unique are the things that help us see new insights and build better
Learn more about Working at ITHAKA .
Interested candidates can submit their transcript, a writing sample (up to 10 pages), and a letter of recommendation.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, domestic violence victim status, veteran status, disability, history of disability or perceived disability, or other status protected by law.