The University of Chicago
Booth School of Business
5807 South Woodlawn Avenue Chicago, Illinois 60637
Rimmy E. Tomy
Professors Anya Kleymenova and Rimmy E. Tomy seek a highly skilled and motivated individual for a full-time Research Professional position for a period of at least one year but ideally two years. Research Professionals work with faculty to collect data, maintain databases, conduct statistical analysis, and provide other support associated with faculty research. The position is based at The University of Chicago Booth School of Business in Chicago, IL.
The ideal candidate will have (i) a strong quantitative background, (ii) strong computer skills including programming (e.g., Stata, SAS, Python, R, and Matlab), (iii) experience with statistical analysis and database organization, and a willingness to further develop these skills; (iv) the ability to work independently to solve problems; and (v) a long-term interest in pursuing research in economics, finance, accounting or a related field. Background in economics or finance is a plus, but not necessary—candidates with strong technical backgrounds who are looking for more exposure to economics are welcome to apply.
The preferred start date is August 1, 2018, though other dates may be considered. Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis, but all applications submitted by June 30, 2018, will be given full consideration.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Support ongoing research projects by collecting, manipulating and analyzing data using statistical analysis (e.g., in SAS or Stata), and organizing the presentation of results.
2. Create charts, tables, and descriptive text for presentations and research papers.
3. Maintain databases, review background materials, and perform preliminary analyses and research.
4. Other duties as requested.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND EXPERIENCE:
1. Bachelor’s degree or higher in any quantitative field required.
2. Relevant research experience preferred.
3. Experience with statistical analysis and database organization, and a willingness to further develop these skills.
4. Familiarity with statistical software such as Stata and SAS preferred.
5. Familiarity with programming languages such as Python preferred.
6. Courses in econometrics or statistics required.
7. Knowledge of research techniques and methods required.
8. Analytical and problem-solving skills required.
9. Excellent and professional verbal, written, and presentation skills as well as organizational skills and attention to detail required.
10. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously required.
11. Ability to work independently as well as with others and to meet deadlines under pressure required.
12. Strong computer skills required.
If interested, please fill out a brief survey at https://goo.gl/forms/DoDBE3OllW9LsTq62. You must also fill out a formal application at https://uchicago.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/External/job/Hyde-Park-Campus/Res… submit all ancillary materials (resume, cover letter, and postsecondary transcripts (unofficial are fine)) in the Resume/CV field. You may upload multiple files.