Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I count Credit/D/Fail courses for credit towards the major?

No, courses taken Credit/D/Fail may not be counted toward the requirements of the major.

The only two exceptions are: (1) courses taken Credit/D/Fail or Pass/Fail in spring 2020; (2) courses taken in fall 2021 where the final exam was administered on or after December 19, 2021 and the student opted for a mark of Credit. 

Can I count Residential College Courses for credit towards the major?


Distinction in the Major/Senior Essay

Seniors who wish to be considered for distinction in the economics major must meet the grade standards for distinction and submit a senior essay in April of their senior year written in Econ 491a (a one-term essay), in Econ 491a and 492b (a two-term essay), or in Econ 400-489 (a seminar or advanced lecture-discussion class wherein, with additional work, the term paper has been developed with the help of the seminar instructor to senior essay status). All senior essays must be done with the help of an advisor. Prospectuses for senior essays in Econ 491a and Econ 492b must be submitted and approved in October.

It is a good idea (but not required) to try to choose a senior-essay topic and to find an advisor during the spring of your junior year. This allows you to start research over the summer.

For more information please see the Senior Essay webpage, watch the video (link is external)(link is external), see Econ491 on canvas and/or attend a Q&A session on August 13 at 9 am, August 18 at 7 pm or September 1 at 4 pm. RSVP

Does the department have a placement exam?

No. We provide each incoming first-year student with a placement based on application data and AP (and equivalent) exam scores.  Students receive a personal e-mail with their placement. Students can also find the placement on canvas. See our first-year placement page for more information.

Does the economics major have the STEM designation?

The economics and math major continues to retain the STEM designation.

In the past year, the Department has requested a change in the designation of the CIP code for the undergraduate and graduate programs in Economics. This request has been approved and was filed with State Office of Higher Education at the end of the past year with immediate effect.

The new CIP code (for Classification of Instructional Programs) by the National Center for Education Statistics at the Department of Education is 45.0603 (Econometrics and Quantitative Economics) rather than the old one 45.0601 (Economics, General). The new classification more closely corresponds to the quantitative and analytic nature of our programs.

An implication of this change is that 45.0603 has STEM designation. As such it allows our international students to apply for a two year OPT extension in addition to the standard 12 months of F1 student visas for all other degrees.

How can I get a copy of the syllabus for a course I took some time ago?

The instructor owns the copyright to the course syllabus and therefore it must be requested from him/her.

How will grades from spring 2020 figure into the calculation of distinction?

They will not. To earn distinction you must write a thesis that earns a grade of A or A- and earn A or A- in 3/4 of your major courses (excluding the introductory courses and math requirement in the economics major and the prerequisites in the math-econ major) taken in all semesters except Spring 2020.

I would like to be admitted to Yale and major in economics. Can you send me some information?

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions makes the decision on admissions to Yale College, not individual departments. Please refer to their website for more information. Once you are admitted to Yale College, you may choose to major in economics or economics & mathematics.

Is tutoring offered for my course?

The Poorvu Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) offers several tutoring options in quantitative reasoning and science. See the CTL’s tutoring page for all their offerings.