Who we are:
At the nonprofit Urban Institute, we believe in the power of evidence to improve lives and strengthen communities. Our employees are empowered to open minds, shape decisions and offer solutions. We encourage intellectual honesty, innovation, diversity, and mutual respect, and our analysis elevates the debate, wherever it takes place.
Urban’s greatest asset is our people. We strive to attract and cultivate a vibrant, creative, and diverse community. Our employees drive Urban’s mission through entrepreneurship, innovation, leadership, effective communication, results-orientation, and relationship cultivation. Our success depends on engaging individuals who possess and value these attributes.
How you’ll contribute:
The Urban-Brookings Tax Policy Center seeks Research Assistants (RAs) to help analyze federal, state, and local tax policies. RAs will work with prominent public finance economists on research concerning the revenue, distributional, and economic effects of the current tax system and proposed policy reforms. They will routinely see their work quoted by major media outlets such as the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, and CNN.
Responsibilities:Work with the Center’s state-of-the-art microsimulation models
- Collect and analyze data
- Conduct background research and literature reviews
- Collaborate on written products such as blog posts, policy briefs, and research papers
- Produce graphics for publications and the TPC website
- Other duties assigned by the supervisor
What you’ll bring:
The successful candidate will:
- Possess a Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or related fields
- Be familiar with basic econometric techniques and data analysis software packages (such as Stata, R, or SAS)
- Have excellent research and analytical skills, especially in mathematics and statistics
- Display strong organizational and communication skills
- Show excellent attention to detail and be able to work independently and as part of a team
- Have prior research experience, including experience in formulating research questions and hypotheses, summarizing literature, and conducting data analysis with statistical software
- Demonstrate the initiative to suggest improvements or innovations on assigned tasks
- Communicate respectfully with individuals of differing backgrounds and experience
Applications submitted before November 15, 2018 will be considered for interviews beginning December 1, 2018. Other applications will be considered on a rolling basis.
What you’ll experience:
Working in the nation’s capital among top policy experts, you can expect to have an impact on policy areas you care about. You will blend academic rigor with on-the-ground collaboration, be encouraged and supported to fulfill your potential through meaningful work that matters, and work with great colleagues who are smart, mission-driven, and collaborative.
In addition, we offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes: medical, dental, disability, and life insurance coverage. Urban also provides competitive paid time off allowance, eligibility to participate in a generous retirement savings plan, and a reimbursable commuting expense program.
The Urban Institute is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other protected status under applicable law.
The Urban Institute is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer Minorities/Women/Disabilities/Veterans.